Happy Holidays West End & Friends!!!
I hope you enjoyed the day w/ your family and friends.
As the year comes to a close, please consider making a donation to Friends of the West End Park. It is tax-deductible and will help us continue our wonderful work.
Donations can be written to Friends of the West End Park and mailed to:
Yomara Velez, 9to5 Atlanta Working Women, 501 Pulliam Street SW Suite 344, Atlanta GA 30312
Our accomplishments this past year…
We created an initial plan for our park!
We coordinated monthly meetings, started this blog and held monthly park clean-ups!
Mary signs-in (our Spring Egg Hunt Coordinator)
We made improvements to our park-painted the water fountain and after some pressure the City fixed the fountain, we also painted the the tennis courts (walls)!
We mulched our trees and the playground!
We planted trees!
Beth held weekly jump rope classes (Saturday Mornings-10am) and in the Fall added an Abs Class!
We hosted an Earth Day Celebration + involved children in planting a mini-garden! Jamila helps the children plant their seeds!
And-these are the beautiful results from the picture above!
We hosted our 1st EGG HUNT/Spring Celebration!
We solidified friendships + built community!
We hosted West End's 1st FALL FEST!
We carved pumpkins and held activities for the entire family!
West End's Fall Fest involved youth in the community + gave them something positive to do with their free time!
Chin held youth soccer in the park every Saturday (Fall)!
Jamila and Chin co-coordinated the Fall Fest!
It’s been a busy but wonderful year! As I look back, I’m pleased with everything we’ve accomplished. These pictures inspire me to continue the work. I hope it reminds us of how powerful we can be when we come together to create healthier communities. You’ve worked hard and I hope you enjoy this photo essay of our past year!
- Jamila will help coordinate meetings for the first 6 months to give me some time to continue to strengthen the work in other areas such as fundraising and programming.
Things to look forward to in the coming year:
- Monthly clean-ups (3rd Saturday/month)
- Saturday morning fitness classes (saturdays/weekly)
- Knitting/crafting circle in the park.
- More on plan/design for the park.
- Wooden posts at the park to minimize cars on the turf.
- Continue to contact the City about the broken sidewalk.
- Community Events in the Park such as the Spring Egg Hunt + Earth Day Celebration!
- Malcolm X Festival (Friends will have a table at the event + work w/ festival organizers)
I HOPE YOU’LL JOIN US! Much love…Yomara!