Let’s add bicycle racks to our park! We have raised enough money! Whatta ya say???
MAKE A RAIN BARREL! April 15, 2010
Join us this weekend at our 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration (starts at 9am) and you can make your own rain barrel for only $40!
The City of Atlanta will be providing workshop & materials.
When: This Saturday, April 17
*Pre-registration required: Call Jamila 404-693-1742
2nd Annual West End Earth Day Celebration! April 5, 2010
The Friends of the West End Park will be hosting our wonderful 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration!
THIS WEEKEND!!! 2nd ANNUAL EARTH DAY CELEBRATION at WEST END PARK!!!
- Participate in ‘Edible Landscaping’ project!
- Make your very own rain barrel for only $40! Pre-register by contacting Jamila: 404-693-1742
- Children activities include creating garden art, face-painting & plantings
- Build new benches for the park
- Plant new trees
- Mulch existing trees
- Clean playground mulch and overall park!
-Fruit or Flowering trees
Starts @ 10am! Don’t miss it!
West End Park (Oak/Lucille)
I’d like to get involved, how can I help?
- Cash donations can help buy much needed supplies!
- If you’re knowledgeable in areas of reusing, gardening, water harvesting, children’s environmental education and art…consider facilitating a workshop for others. Email: email@example.com!
- Donate a tree: we’d like fruit trees but a spring blooming flower tree would bring much needed color to the park. You can even make an art plaque to label your tree!
- Volunteer: We’ll need volunteers for set-up, during the event & clean-up. Please consider picking up a shift even if it’s just 45 minutes! We need you!
For more information, to give a donation or sign-up for a volunteer shift contact:
- Jamila Norman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yomara Velez: email@example.com
This event can be a wonderful community event but we need you to get involved!
Take Action: Don’t Cut Park’s Budget! March 2, 2010
1. Email Mayor Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Please Don’t Cut Parks!”
2. Copy the below letter and paste it into your email
3. Click Send
4. (optional) TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
For more information: http://www.parkpride.org/get-involved/advocacy
SAMPLE LETTER (copy and paste)…
LOCATION CHANGED! VISIONING FOR OUR PARK CONTINUES February 3, 2010
We’re going to continue our visioning and planning process for the West End Park!
The 1st meeting: this Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Location: Grounds Coffee House
From 6 to 7 pm
FIND YOUR AVERAGE LAST FREEZE… January 26, 2010
FIND YOUR AVERAGE LAST FREEZE…
WHAT TO GROW IN MARCH…
|VEGETABLES||Sow Indoors||Sow Outdoors||Transplant|
|Peas (snow, shell, snap)||XXX|
|Scallion (green onion)||XXX||XXX|
|CULINARY HERBS||Sow Indoors||Sow Outdoors||Transplant|
Mother Earth News-Radio Broadcast! January 16, 2010
Many of us are familiar with Mother Earth News, now you can listen to them through broadcasting segments posted on their website! Go to http://www.motherearthnews.com for a full list of topics!
HAPPY NEW YEARS! January 1, 2010
Today is about reflection and new beginnings, I hope you’re all enjoying your day!!!
12 ways to live more RESPONSIBLE + LOCAL in the NEW YEAR:
- Donate to a local charity: West End Performing Arts Center, Hammond House, Wrens Nest, Friends of the West end Park, Etc. Support local institutions!
- Use the Beltline-get your bike, walking shoes and get going!
- Attend SATURDAY MORNING FITNESS CLASSES (10am) in the West End Park
- Attend Neighborhood + Park Clean ups (and Neighborhood meetings) for dates check upcoming events. Park Clean ups are usually 3rd Saturday/every month.
- Volunteer to tutor (after-school) at Brown Middle School, call (404) 756-6414
- Order your recycling bin…call 404.330.6333.
- Host a West End swap or participate in one!
- Support local businesses: Coffee Shop, Print Shop, ACE etc. We don’t want those businesses we like to close.
- Write a letter and complaint to Kroger (corporate) about our stores condition. You can do it via email by visiting: https://customer.kroger.com/comments/comments.aspx or call 1-866-221-4141 or mail letters to: 1014 Vine Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1100. The condition of our local store is sub-standard! Visit the Edgewood store and compare! They can do better!
- Work to make our schools + local library better!
- Use our GOODWILL store wisely by donating items in good condition + shopping there.
- Participate in our West End Neighborhood Yard Sale organized by Percy (end of the summer)
- Give the West End lots and lots of LOVE!
For general tips on living green visit: http://ecogreenbags.blogspot.com/2009/12/25-ways-to-be-more-eco-friendly.htm