Let’s add bicycle racks to our park! We have raised enough money! Whatta ya say???
FARMERS MARKET in the WEST END! June 12, 2010
West End Farmers Market is now accepting Vendor Applications for the 2010 Green Market Season!
This Community Collaboration will host the Open Air Market every 1st Friday from June 4th to October 1st from 3pm to 8pm outside of Space Atl Restaraunt 1310 White Street (behind Dunkin Donuts in the Historic West End)
Enjoy open mic performance, locally grown produce, art, hand crafted jewelry, and wholesome merchandise with a view of the BeltLine Park.
Please join us in encouraging sustainable communities and vendors looking for a new way to market reserve your SPACE NOW!
1310 White Street
Atlanta Georgia 30310
MAKE A RAIN BARREL! April 15, 2010
Join us this weekend at our 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration (starts at 9am) and you can make your own rain barrel for only $40!
The City of Atlanta will be providing workshop & materials.
When: This Saturday, April 17
*Pre-registration required: Call Jamila 404-693-1742
2nd Annual West End Earth Day Celebration! April 5, 2010
The Friends of the West End Park will be hosting our wonderful 2nd Annual Earth Day Celebration!
THIS WEEKEND!!! 2nd ANNUAL EARTH DAY CELEBRATION at WEST END PARK!!!
- Participate in ‘Edible Landscaping’ project!
- Make your very own rain barrel for only $40! Pre-register by contacting Jamila: 404-693-1742
- Children activities include creating garden art, face-painting & plantings
- Build new benches for the park
- Plant new trees
- Mulch existing trees
- Clean playground mulch and overall park!
-Fruit or Flowering trees
Starts @ 10am! Don’t miss it!
West End Park (Oak/Lucille)
I’d like to get involved, how can I help?
- Cash donations can help buy much needed supplies!
- If you’re knowledgeable in areas of reusing, gardening, water harvesting, children’s environmental education and art…consider facilitating a workshop for others. Email: email@example.com!
- Donate a tree: we’d like fruit trees but a spring blooming flower tree would bring much needed color to the park. You can even make an art plaque to label your tree!
- Volunteer: We’ll need volunteers for set-up, during the event & clean-up. Please consider picking up a shift even if it’s just 45 minutes! We need you!
For more information, to give a donation or sign-up for a volunteer shift contact:
- Jamila Norman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yomara Velez: email@example.com
This event can be a wonderful community event but we need you to get involved!
FRIENDS OF THE WEST END UPDATE! March 10, 2010
Friends of the West End Park met Friday, March 5th, 2010. There’s lots of exciting stuff coming up at the park, here are a couple of updates:
- At our last park clean-up we found contaminated mulch: pieces had nails, peeled paint and large pieces of construction wood. I took pictures and I wrote a letter to the Park Commissioner. I must report that the City responded quickly and did a GREAT JOB removing the mulch from the park. I’m also very pleased that new trees and bushes were planted in the park. I’d like to express my gratitude to our Park Commissioner: Mr. Paul Taylor, Park Pride’s Executive Director: George Dusenbury, Director of Community Building: Ayanna Williams and Representative Cleta Winslow! Thanks for taking care of our park and responding to our concerns! We couldn’t be happier!
- At our last meeting we discussed Earth Day at West End Park. We’ve decided to do a two day celebration at the park: April 15 & 16, 2010. We’ll be making benches for the park, painting the basketball court, making new planters, planting trees and improving the children’s garden area. We will build a bulletin board to keep community members informed on upcoming events, activities, etc. We also hope to install pegs to keep cars off the turf. Our group would like to encourage children in the neighborhood to donate a plant to their “Children’s Garden”. We’ll be creating garden art to label their plants. We hope to have workshops for community members and children. We’ll keep you posted!
- In addition to Earth Day, we hope to host our 2nd Annual Spring Egg Hunt on April 3 @ 10am. Last year, this event was a wonderful success! We hope you’ll join us for a morning of fun in the park!
- As the weather gets warm, please come out and enjoy your park, play tennis, participate in clean-ups, etc! Lets continue to maintain & improve our park!
Take Action: Don’t Cut Park’s Budget! March 2, 2010
1. Email Mayor Reed at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “Please Don’t Cut Parks!”
2. Copy the below letter and paste it into your email
3. Click Send
4. (optional) TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
For more information: http://www.parkpride.org/get-involved/advocacy
SAMPLE LETTER (copy and paste)…