Friends of the West End Park-Monthly Meeting Notes
Subject: Meeting Notes
Date: January 16, 2010
Location: Beth’s House
Jamila Norman, Beth McBee, Sally Stenger, Keanu on behalf of Yomara Velez and Chinyelu Ma’at attended the meeting.
The Main topic of Discussion was The Park Visioning program provided by Park Pride.
- The application deadline is early may.
- It is an 8 month process
- Led by professional landscape architect, park pride and the community
- Need to develop a Steering Committee of members which should be:
- active in their community,
- able to commit to attending monthly Steering Committee meetings,
- and willing to participate in four to six public meetings
- We decided to schedule a meeting for Wednesday, February 17th, at 7:00 p.m. to present the Visioning process to all community members interested and to get commitments of possible steering committee members. (snacks provided)
- Will reach out to the following groups: NPU-T, WEND, WEMC, and any other individuals or groups (churches, civic groups, schools etc…) that may be interested.
- Possible Meeting places include: library, mosque, Churches, boys and girls club, etc…
Events in the Park
Current Events: Future Events:
Easter Egg Hunt (March) Drumming Festival – Jamila Suggested
Earth Day (April) Public Servants Day – Chinyelu suggested
Malcolm X festival (May) Juneteenth Celebration – Chinyelu suggested
Fall Festival (October) Fundraiser Dinner – Chinyelu suggested
Art in the Park:
- Keanu suggested having a graffiti mural on one of the tennis court walls.
- We noted that there are two walls with 4 sides total and could have a different mural on each side.
- Process will need to be developed to include the community and involve the city in the art selection process.
- Meeting will remain the 3rd Saturday of each month before the cleanup at 10:45 a.m.
- Decided to forgo this cleanup and to get back on board next month
- Chinyelu has materials for bulletin boards in park
- Yomara will continue to update the website
TO DO LIST:
- Beth Will reach out to Mary Rindlesbach about Easter Egg Hunt
- Jamila Will:
- Secure meeting place for Visioning meeting.
- Gent info to Yomara to post on website
- Send an email blast to the community
- Call Ayanna at park pride about Bulletin Board
- Chinyelu will coordinate with Stephanie Harry about bulletin board
- Everyone will reach out to others to encourage them to attend the visioning meeting
Thank You to All Who Attended.
For more information or if you have any questions please contact:
Jamila Norman (co-president with Yomara Velez)